One of the many consequences of the pandemic in the world of work has been the promotion of remote work and online communication tools. One of them is Zoom, which has become one of the main video conferencing applications that we currently have. In this post we are going to talk about it and its many uses, such as rename Zoom.
First of all, it must be remembered that Zoom is not a new web application, as it has been available since 2013, but it is now that it has achieved true success. It is a cloud-based service, accessible to anyone with a computer connected to the Internet.
In 2020 alone, Zoom recorded an average of 300 million daily users. Many companies use it for their professional meetings, although it is also used for academic purposes or simply between individuals. In these online meetings, users often use their names exactly as they appear. Verifying identity can be important, for example, in the case of students who must certify their attendance to classes. Instead, sometimes it is in our interest to hide or modify this information. How to do it is what we are going to deal with in this post.
Table of Contents
Change Zoom name before a meeting
Preparing the online meeting takes time, especially if it is a work videoconference, with partners, bosses, collaborators or clients. We don't want anything to go wrong. And among the things that must be prepared well is our name or identification. Either via the Zoom web portal, on your desktop app, or on the mobile app, the process is quite similar:
On the Zoom website
In this case, to change the profile name, simply open the Zoom page directly and follow these steps:
- First, we open the zoom official site and log in to our account.
- Then we click on the option "Profile", which we find in the menu on the left of the screen.
- Then we click on the option "Edit", which is displayed to the right of our current name. There we can write the new name that we want to use. We may also configure other personal or professional data.
From the desktop version
To change our username from the desktop version of Zoom, the steps to follow are as follows:
- First you have to open the desktop apps by Zoom.
- Then we click on «Settings» (the familiar gear cogwheel icon), which is located just below our profile picture.
- In the configuration menu, we click on the option «Profile" and in it, we select «Edit my profile”.
- At this point, Zoom redirects us to the service's website. There you only have to use the “Edit” option to update our name in a similar way to what we have explained in the previous section.
From the mobile application
The Zoom mobile app is not as widely used as the previous two methods, as it has some limitations. However, many people use it (for example, those who do not have a suitable computer for their video conferences) and can also change their username. This is how you do it:
- The first step, obviously, is to open the Zoom app on our smartphone.
- Then we click on the option "Settings", which appears at the bottom right of the screen.
To open the edit menu, click on our current username.
- Next, we choose the option "Show name". There we will access a series of fields (among them, those of name and surname) that we can fill in according to our tastes or preferences.
- Finally, with all the changes already made, we press the button "Save", located in the upper right corner of the screen. This action will update the data on all devices where we use the same Zoom account.
Change Zoom name during a meeting
And what if the meeting has already started and we haven't taken the precaution to change our name? Is there a solution for that? Of course yes. In fact, any participant can do it at any time, very simply and quickly. No administrator or host privileges are required. This is how we should proceed:
- We start by clicking on the Participants icon, found at the bottom of the Zoom meeting window.
- In the menu shown below, we must find our own name in the participant panel and place the cursor on it. There we select the option "Plus".
- Among the following options that appear, we choose the "Rename". We enter the new name in the box that is displayed in a pop-up window.
- To finish the process, just click on "To accept".
Be the first to comment